Review: SkinFood Black Sugar Mask (Wash Off)


    Purchased at: I got this it in Korea but you can get it at Sasa or YesStyle

    Price: $12.90 at Sasa or $17.00 YesStyle.  Obviously, I have my preferences ;)

    Description:
    SKINFOOD Black Sugar Mask Wash Off contains black sugar ingredient, which contains rich minerals, vitamins and glycolic acid, for removing aged cuticles.  It ensures better absorption of the following skin care products. Skin is revitalized and hydrated. Bright and tight skin is resulted.
    A leave-on mask with generous moisturizing and effective exfoliating ingredients. Grainy sugar granules slough off excess oil and grime, while a self-heating formula opens up pores, allowing skin to fully absorb the rich minerals and vitamins.
    Directions: After cleansing, apply the mask to lightly wet face (avoid eye and lip area). Gently press and massage. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and then rinse well with water.


    Suitable for: All skin types. (Though I don't agree, I think those with sensitive skin/acne shouldn't use it).


    Experience: I tried a sample of this and it was a very generous amount, good for 3-4 uses, honestly.  I didn't like how large the sugar grains were, it felt too harsh on my face even though I didn't massage very much.  When I washed off the mask after minimal massaging (not scrubbing), my face felt very clean and there was no residue left.  However, I forgot to put on lotion once after I used it and my face felt very parched.  This isn't really surprising though since it is an exfoliating mask ^_^

    Overall:
    Scent: I thought this would have a sugary sweet scent but it was a lime-soap scent O_o More lime than soap so it smelled quite clean and I liked it - but it startled me a bit.

    Texture: Very large sugar granules!  You should use a very small amount of this with plenty of water or another cleanser.   Those with open lesions or active acne shouldn't use this since it'll be harsh on your face I think.  And I have to add how utterly....feces-like this looks xD


    Claims:
    Contains rich minerals, vitamins and glycolic acid, for removing aged cuticles.  <-- aka remove dead skin? Well, yes it does though it definitely should considering how large the granules are xD
    Skin is revitalized and hydrated. <-- Revitalized, yes.  Hydrated? Not so much though my freshly exfoliated face did soak up moisturizer faster.
    Bright and tight skin is resulted. <-- Yes indeed-y.
    Generous moisturizing and effective exfoliating ingredients. <-- Not so much on the moisturizing, yes to the exfoliating.  
    Grainy sugar granules slough off excess oil and grime. <-- Yep.
    Self-heating formula opens up pores, allowing skin to fully absorb the rich minerals and vitamins. <-- I did not experience any self-heating :\  The Skinfood Black Sesame Seed Hot Mask (which I really like btw) does this really well, this one not so much.
    Overall results: This is a very well-loved mask (MUA Rating: 4.2/5.0), I have come across almost no negative reviews about this product.  As for me I have to say....I wasn't crazy about it ^^;;
    Good:
    - I liked the lime scent but it might be odd for those expecting something sweeter.
    - Exfoliates decently enough.
    - My skin felt very refreshed and revitalized afterward.
    - No residue left behind, skin feels clean and tight.
    - Very reasonable cost on Sasa.

    Bad:
    - No self-heating effect.
    - Large (possibly harsh) granules. They don't melt over time either I don't think :\
    - Not moisturizing.
    - Tub setup is very unhygienic :P You'll need to use spoon to get this stuff out.
    - Skin will be temporarily red afterward.
    - Looks like poop in the tub ^0^ but on your face it's just fine :)
    Overall, I'd say you could give it a try if you do not have active acne/open lesions on your face.  I personally would not purchase the full size of this - it's not because I think it's a bad product, it's just not for me.  Also I suspect you could get the same results with a DIY brown sugar mask ^^  I'll be sticking to my good ol' SkinJourney Microdermabrasion Scrub, which has much smaller/gentler exfoliating beads and is more moisturizing.

Total Pageviews