Review: My Beauty Diary Bird's Nest Mask


    Purchased at: Sasa

    Price: $12.70 / 10 pieces = $1.27/mask

    Description:
    My Beauty Diary Bird’s Nest Mask whitens, nourishes and renews the skin.
    Bird’s nest extract, a precious ingredient, and corallina officinalis, the so-called “bird’s nest from the bottom of the sea,” intensely enhances skin’s moisture level, and nourishes strongly.
    Hydrolyzed soy and rice protein enhance skin’s defense, elasticity and transparency. They also relieve discomfort resulting from dryness.
    Suitable for: It is suitable for normal skin. It is especially recommended for dry, rough and dull skin.

    Experience: I must admit that I did not like this mask very much for one particular reason - the scent.  I dunno what a "bird's nest" is supposed to smell like but to me it smelled of "old jelly"...or something rather unpleasant.   There was no cooling effect for me and while there was no irritation at all, the lack of a cooling effect and odd scent made the overall experience not that great.  After I took off the mask, my face did look brighter (redness was down) and my skin had that taut bounciness to it. Makeup application was smoother the next day. The mask had a nice result, however temporary, but it wasn't better than the other MBD I've tried.  I had been really excited about this mask (maybe too excited) since I'd heard bird's nest is supposed to be very good for you and I have rough skin (see "Suitable for"); compared to my excitement the results weren't as good as I expected :\


    Overall
    Fit: Fit pretty damn well~ I feel like a broken record saying that in every MBD review but yep, post-2009 (or was it 2010? whatever, the newest MBD mask shape) MBD masks have fit me like a charm.

    Scent: I have read plenty of positive reviews of this mask but for some reason this mask smells awful to me.  Like musky jelly or old herbs.  I can't quite put my finger on it - I don't know what bird's nest is supposed to smell like, but if it smells like this mask it will make me nauseous.  I would say this odd scent is probably the biggest reason I wouldn't repurchase this mask.

    Mask texture: Nice and silky.   Sticks to face well and as usual, no complaints.

    Excess serum: The Natural Key line always has a generous amount of serum - much more than Flower Expo line at least.  You always get a nice quarter sized amount of serum.

    Claims:
    Whitens, nourishes and renews the skin. <-- It does brighten my face and take redness down, though not as much as the Silk Whitia Soy Milk Whitening or MBD Cooling mask (a true summer favorite of mine!).  Not 100% sure about the 'nourishing' and 'renewing' though since I only tried 1 box of 10. 

    Bird’s nest extract.....intensely enhances skin’s moisture level, and nourishes strongly <-- Yes, I did feel that my face was much more hydrated. Nourished? Perhaps. It certainly didn't hurt :)

    Hydrolyzed soy and rice protein enhance skin’s defense, elasticity and transparency <-- My skin was indeed more taut and elastic-y.  And one of the reasons I'm addicted to sheet masks in general is because my skin always gets that translucent look right afterward, this mask is no exception. 
    Overall Results: While the mask works just fine (though not exceptionally well), I really dislike the bird's nest scent so I will not be repurchasing it personally.  It does do what it claims, however, so it's not a bad mask - just not for me I suspect.  On the other hand, I have read plenty of positive reviews about this mask so I hesitate to tell people not to try it.  In the end I'd say it mostly comes down to scent and if you don't like musky scents, this one may not be for you. 

    Positive Reviews: Musings of Muse (for a bit of perspective ^_~), Clover Beauty Inn

Total Pageviews